June is Acne Awareness Month! What is Acne?
Acne is a common skin condition that occurs when hair follicles become clogged with oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria.
Types of Acne
There are many types of acne which include:
1. Whiteheads: Small, raised bumps with white or flesh colored plug in the center
2. Blackheads: These are like whiteheads, but the pore is open which causes oxidation of the oil and dead skin cells hence the term, blackhead.
3. Papules: Small red tender bumps
4. Pustules: Pustules are like papules but contain pus and tend to have an erythematous base.
5. Nodules: Large, solid bumps beneath the skin
6. Cysts: Cysts contain pus and are larger/deeper. Cysts can leave scars if not properly treated.
How to Treat Acne
Acne can be difficult to self-treat. A board-certified dermatologist and/or esthetician will help create an effective treatment plan based on many factors such as:
· What type of acne you have
· Where the acne is located on the body
· What you have tried in the past
Treatment plans commonly include topicals. To get the best possible results, it is important to be consistent. It may take up to 3-9 months with some adjustments to your routine to start seeing improvement.
Visit ASA Dermatology for your acne concerns or contact us here!